We periodically get asked by clients to provide "Business English" training for migrant professionals.
Whilst it is true that some migrants would benefit from training in "Business English", most actually have more than sufficient English language skills. What they do need however, are specific cross-cultural skills that would enable them to better relate with New Zealanders, understand different points of view, and to get their message across succinctly and effectively.
The Euroasia "Thriving in New Zealand" programme covers practical areas such as:
Understanding the New Zealand workplace.
- Relating effectively with New Zealanders.
- Navigating professional and social circles .
- How to initiate and extend conversations .
- Understanding the use of informal communication methods (eg. sarcasm and humour) in communicating with New Zealanders.
- Negotiation skills, being assertive.
- Presentation and influencing skills.
- Managing expectations of managers and colleagues.
Should it be necessary, an English language test can be administered to determine the level of language competency prior to the start of the programme. If appropriate, the programme can be supplemented with Business English training.